Family Lore

 


I admit, I've been neglecting my family history research. Life gets in the way, sometimes. New Year, New Start, right? So I signed up again for the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge. Here's the link if you want to join me: https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks/

Last year I posted only a few times. I'm disappointed in myself, but I did spend some time migrating my previous blog posts to the Google Blogger format because it's free. I discovered today that I need to finish this up, so I'll be working on that soon. My goal is to have everything all in one place. 

The topic this first week is Family Lore. When I think of this, I think of big, interesting stories. No one really passed on any of these. Sure, I have been told about things that seem insignificant to World History, but all of the "big" stories I have came from my own research. I suspect that everyone has some of these, and, for one reason or another, our ancestors just stopped telling the tales.

So, what do you do when you don't have any real "Family Lore"? Find your own stories! I've decided to start passing down the stories I've discovered- to recreate our family lore for my children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and all of their future descendants. It's not an easy task. For this blog post, I thought I could quickly find out if my husband's family really came to Kentucky with Daniel Boone. I learned that one of his distant great uncles, John Kennedy, Jr., was indeed one of Boone's 30 axemen, but I have many things still to uncover before I can pass this story along. I want my stories to be truthful examples of my diligent research. I did go down a Kennedy rabbit hole in the giant shared tree on FamilySearch. As cool as it would be to discover my husband was descended from a long line of Scottish nobility going back 1000 years to a Templar knight, I feel obligated to do my own research on that before I pass it down!



Comments

Popular Posts